RE: Reducing Outlook 2000 polling

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:50:35 -0500

That's not entirely true, Mark.  Outlook implements error checking in the
case that UDP packets are blocked.  In that case (Outlook hasn't received a
message in x amount of minutes), Outlook (newer versions) will begin a
polling cycle.  Additionally, Outlook will by default update F/B information
to the public folders causing traffic on the wire. Offline Cache will also
result in more message traffic since it has to cache every message to the
local machine and doesn't discriminate between those that the recipient
wants and those that they throw away before downloading.

Some things that can be done to reduce network traffic:

1) don't use client side Outlook aware anti-virus.  Opt instead for Server
side Exchange anti-virus that uses the AVAPI.
2) use Outlook 2003.  This has smaller network footprint when used in online
mode.  Caching mode may result in the same bandwidth consumed.
3) use a lighter client such as OWA or RPC/HTTP.  IMAP may be an option, but
not as full featured.
4) turn off the IM feature in Outlook
5) Don't use the auto-view feature in Outlook (preview and reading panes)

For my money, it's easier and cheaper to allocate more bandwidth than it
would be for me to spend time reconfiguring and optimizing the clients.
Could be done with a combination of GPO, scripts, and user education, but
it's pretty cheap to get fast ethernet switches and better WAN links in many
instances.  If Outlook is flooding your WAN, then I can understand why you
want to optimize and it may then be worth the effort (my opinion).

Al