RE: Recomendations on gateway antivirus

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:48:55 -0800

> We are currently using McAfee Webshield 4.5 as our antivirus for the
> Internet email gateway. We are finding it not very sophisticated to
> block the new viruses, especially the new Bagle virus with encrypted Zip
> files. Any suggestions as to what is the better product to use as a
> gateway antivirus scanner ?

NOTE! Most if not all AV software will not be able to detect and catch an
encrypted zip such as Bagle.J. The reason is this virus is sending (not in
all cases) the virus in encrypted zips using random CRC values, random file
names, and a list of extensions. The biggest problem is the random CRC
values.

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You