[ExchangeList] Re: Rebuild of Domain controller and Exchange 2003 Harddrive Crash

Oh yea a 4 year old Power Vault,  We have a Lefthand San now and moved
the server over to the Lefthand SAN.

________________________________

From: exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Maglinger, Paul
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 12:05 PM
To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ExchangeList] Re: Rebuild of Domain controller and Exchange
2003 Harddrive Crash

Two mirrored drives at once?  Sheesh!

________________________________

From: exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bruce J. Rose
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:51
To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ExchangeList] Rebuild of Domain controller and Exchange 2003
Harddrive Crash

Lost 2 drives in a Dell mirror array Friday night at 10:30 after a
SixPack, oh boy.  Getting to work was exciting enough, anyway here is
one for your guys archive.

Exchange Server was domain controller holding everything except for one
FSMO roles; Running Ex2003.

Lost both Mirror drives so here is what I did hope it helps someone

1.      Fix HD and reinstall Windows 2003, tried to make it a domain
controller but no domain controller could be found to complete DCPROMO

Rename Server same name and then do all updates.

2.      Boot server then to to Directory services mode  and run Restore
making sure you have Write over Existing files selected, I use Backup
Exec
3.      Boot server again to Directory services mode and run a
Authoritative  Restore of active directory,  start ntdsutil,
authoritative restore, then restore directory, hopefully this give you
no errors, it did not for me, I could have been very lucky.
4.      Reboot Server and restore Exchange Databases if they were lost,
I did not lose mine because I had them on a separate array but if you
did just restore them and run eseutil /d and eseutil /p on both Stores
public and private.  Then run ISinteg  both stores until no fixes or
errors.
5.      Reboot server Stores should be mounted.

Any questions let me know

Thanks Bruce Rose