RE: RPC over HTTP unable to configure the client--Please help

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:59:17 -0500

Hi Praveen,

ORK is the solution.

Tom
http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7 <http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7>
MVP -- ISA Firewalls

________________________________

        From: Praveen Ramaswamy [mailto:ramaswamy_praveen@xxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:52 AM
        To: [ExchangeList]
        Subject: [exchangelist] RE: RPC over HTTP unable to configure
the client--Please help

        http://www.MSExchange.org/

        Raj thanks for the response.

        If I give BE as server name and FE as proxy server then
following thing happens:

        Client connected on same network as BE will work, but when I
check the traffic from client to server, it is still TCP instead of
HTTPS. And on server I checked with exchange monitor and it shows the
client is connecting from NATed public IP address.

        Hope I am clear..

        Can you please let me know what ports need to be open between FE
to BE and from client to FE, BE, ADS for me to configure this profile.

        My users sit in different building and connect to this server
via internet. That is the reason I wanted to give them this solution.
But if they have to be connected to BE directly for configuring the
profile then it will be difficult. Please suggest me the best method to
rollout this solution.

        Regards

        Praveen R

        "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                http://www.MSExchange.org/

                Praveen,

                When you configure an Outlook profile, the Outlook
always tries to connect to Exchange server using RPC to resolve the user
name. Hence if you are trying to create a profile from outside of a DMZ,
your profile creation will give errors since the RPC protocol is
blocked. Yes, you need to have RPC protocol enabled between your FE and
BE servers. When you create the Outlook profile, your Exchange server
name should be the BE server name, not the FE server name. If you use
the FE server name, Outlook will not recognize your user name and
Exchange server name. If you are trying to create the profile from
outside the DMZ, then you have click OK ..OK as the error messages pop
up about un resolvable name. But make sure the exchange server name you
put in is the BE server name not the FE. Once the profile creation ends,
you can verify the profile settings again. Although the names are not
resolved, the profile should be pointing to the BE server, and your
RPC/HTTP settings should be pointing to the FE server, which I believe
is also your RPC proxy. Then, you can open Outlook normally, if every
thing is configured correctly in your FE server, then your Outlook NOW
RESOLVE YOUR USERNAME. Your Outlook should work normally.
                Another suggestion, its not a good idea or good practice
to place the FE server in the DMZ. By doing this, you are bringing the
presence of your corporate domain to the DMZ. Its always best to leave
the FE server in the corporate domain, and use an ISA server in the DMZ
to publish OWA and RPCoHTTP.

                HTH.
                Regards,
                Raj Periyasamy