RE: RES: source mail server IP differs from MX IP

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:36:27 -0800

Yes and no. ;)

That is called IPNOTINMX. While some systems may take an aggressive
approach, it is meant to be used in a weighting system only, and if fact no
weight is given to failing the test, but in fact a very small negative
weight is applied towards passing it.

The reason that it can not be used as a spam test is that most newsletters,
auto notices, sales receipts and so forth never come from an IP that would
be in the MX records for the sending domain. Additionally, there are many
domains using 3rd party services as their gateway but send outbound direct.

You should be fine.

John T
eServices For You