RES: source mail server IP differs from MX IP

  • From: "Dan Klobnak" <dan.klobnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:56:36 -0600

Tiago, I am not 100% sure that I will have that option, but I appreciate
the suggestion.

Going back to my original scenario: is it a potential source of issue?
Thanks! D

Subject: RES: source mail server IP differs from MX IP: potential
blacklist ramifications?
From: "Tiago de Aviz" <Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:20:53 -0300

Why not relay mail through the UNIX box too?

Tiago de Aviz

SoftSell - Curitiba

Subject: source mail server IP differs from MX IP: potential blacklist
ramifications?
From: "Dan Klobnak" <dan.klobnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:37:17 -0600

Hi there,=20

My eyes have been swimming from all the reading I did this weekend, and
=
this last issue was when I was a couple short of a six-pack...both =
literally and figuratively.=20

We are dealing with SPAM (who isn't). But have no real solution in place
=
right now. One particularly attractive option: not making it my problem.
=

My company recently merged with another company, which has an IT staff =
of 12 to my one with apprentice. They have Saphos Puremessage for Unix =
in place, and offered to help.=20

The idea seems simple enough.
I modify my MX to their perimeter X.X.X.X server.
They filter and forward to our server based on a table entry similar to
=
DNS.

However, all my sent messages will originate from my Y.Y.Y.Y ip (I'd =
rather not have it go back through their system)

So, does this pose a potential issue regarding blacklists. I *believe* =
one method of determining SPAM sources is a comparison of source IP to =
public record (MX)? Or am I really way off on the idea of Reverse DNS?

Thanks for the insights! Dan