RE: RES: Using 2 IMC Servers and 2 SMTP Relay

  • From: "Shorter, Sherri" <sshorter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:35:31 -0400

Just that Exchange 5.5 can't dynamically detect link state and reroute based
on whether the connector is up or down.  A Microsoft rep tells me that 2K is
capable of detecting link state and rerouting to the connector that is up.
Our plan is to use monitoring software until we upgrade to 2K to notify if
the connector is down and I will have to manually reroute in the event I
lose one of the IMC's.  I have both IMCs in the same Exchange site.  2 IMC's
were implemented mainly for redundancy.

I'm not sure that our solution would work for you with your SMTP relay's in
two different geographic locations but this is how we're configured:  We
have both SMTP servers in one site on a different subnet from the Exchange
IMC's.  They each have dual NICs.  I used Network Load Balancing to
configure a virtual IP address (1 NIC from each box answers to the load
balanced address using the Network Load Balancing Service).  I force all
incoming traffic from each IMC as well as the traffic coming in from the
internet through the firewall to the virtual address for the SMTP Relay.
By placing my SMTP Relay servers on a different subnet than my Exchange
servers and removing the gateway off the NICs that contain the virtual IP
address, I was able isolate all incoming traffic to the virtual address and
then use the other 2 NICs for outbound traffic by providing them with a
default gateway.  This allows a redundant configuration and easier
troubleshooting since all traffic inbound to the SMTP relay that the
receiver service picks up is traversing the virtual IP address and all my
outbound traffic that the delivery service handles is using the integrated
NIC's on my SMTP servers.  I know that you can use a virtual address for
your IMC because that's how I've done it here.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but hopefully this information will
give you something to go on...