RES: RES: source mail server IP differs from MX IP

  • From: "Tiago de Aviz" <Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:49:03 -0300

I don't believe so. You would pass most checks like reverse DNS and MX check.
Many of my customers deliver mail thru different servers that receive with no
issues at all.

Tiago de Aviz

SoftSell - Curitiba

(41) 340-2363

www.softsell.com.br

Esta mensagem, incluindo seus anexos, tem caráter confidencial e seu conteúdo é
restrito ao destinatário da mensagem. Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem
por engano, queira por favor retorná-la ao destinatário e apagá-la de seus
arquivos. Qualquer uso não autorizado, replicação ou disseminação desta
mensagem ou parte dela é expressamente proibido. A SoftSell não é responsável
pelo conteúdo ou a veracidade desta informação.

From: "Tiago de Aviz" <Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:20:53 -0300

Why not relay mail through the UNIX box too?

Tiago de Aviz

SoftSell - Curitiba

Subject: source mail server IP differs from MX IP: potential blacklist
ramifications?
From: "Dan Klobnak" <dan.klobnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:37:17 -0600

Hi there,=20

My eyes have been swimming from all the reading I did this weekend, and
=
this last issue was when I was a couple short of a six-pack...both =
literally and figuratively.=20

We are dealing with SPAM (who isn't). But have no real solution in place
=
right now. One particularly attractive option: not making it my problem.
=

My company recently merged with another company, which has an IT staff =
of 12 to my one with apprentice. They have Saphos Puremessage for Unix =
in place, and offered to help.=20

The idea seems simple enough.
I modify my MX to their perimeter X.X.X.X server.
They filter and forward to our server based on a table entry similar to
=
DNS.

However, all my sent messages will originate from my Y.Y.Y.Y ip (I'd =
rather not have it go back through their system)

So, does this pose a potential issue regarding blacklists. I *believe* =
one method of determining SPAM sources is a comparison of source IP to =
public record (MX)? Or am I really way off on the idea of Reverse DNS?

Thanks for the insights! Dan