Re: RES: RE: Cannot connect Outlook to Exchange through VPN (Resolved)

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:13:48 -0400

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:38:01 +0800, itelephone <itelephone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> hi denny
>
> I do not think itis the right way to make it work .. if you have a dns
> server and your dns record pointed & hosted in your local server then it
> should work without doing all these static route,  all should come from your
> DHCP server, if you have any.

If you are at a remote location, you would receive their TCP/IP
settings either through DHCP or manually based on their network
configuration. Given that, now you should be able to access the
Internet, and then your corporate VPN (which has different network
settings).

My VPN client creates a virtual adapter, which, once authenticated to
the VPN server, receives the appropriate TCP/IP information to then
communicate with the corporate network through the VPN.

However, if you were a Windows application, which TCP/IP information
would you rely on, the real network adapter in or some third party
virtual adapter.

For these reasons, this is why our internal DNS server has to be
manually specified in the TCP/IP settings of the real (non-virtual)
network adapter.

I will be in communication with my VPN vendor.

Future communication on this topic should be directed off-list,
because this has nothing to do with Exchange anymore.

...D