RE- CORRECT ANSWER HERE: Can I just move my current exchange serv er 5.5 application from NT4 server to Windows 2000 server without upgradi ng exchange server

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:34:25 -0500

Michelle,

   I did just this on 6 exchange 5.5 servers about a year and a half ago.
Please reference KB Article: 155216

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q155216
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q155216>

If your goal is to simply replace the NT 4 OS with Win2K server, this
article will walk you step by step through the process.

PAY SPECIAL attention to the steps you must follow based upon your current
backup strategy.  I realize that you want to rebuild on the same server, so
backups are KEY for you.

Be sure to document the server and Exchange 5.5 settings, although this
process should restore all settings (except you will have to reconfigure the
IMS connector if one exists after the rebuild).

I strongly recommend that you perform an OFF LINE backup prior to making the
move.  Once you have the offline backup, follow the directions in KB 155216
for performing this OS upgrade with an OFF LINE backup.

Basic steps... (as in the KB Article - do these on the day that you wish to
rebuild the OS)

BE SURE TO READ THE KB ARTICLE TO FINE TUNE YOUR PROCESS.  DO NOT TAKE THE
STEPS BELOW AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST.  It is only meant to get you started, and
point out some things to look for

- Let your users know when exchange services will be down.  Do this over a
weekend in case errors occur.

- Verify the Exact spelling of the Exchange 5.5 Organization and Site names
for this server.   As well as documenting the IP and Server Name...  This
info is key stuff.

- Let all Exchange admins not to make any changes to any other Exchange
servers for your org, if possible.  This includes Mailbox accounts...

- Stop all Exchange Services and 'Disable' the Microsoft Exchange System
Attendant service so that you do not accidentally restart the services...
This is key.  You do not want to restart the Exchange Server after making a
'final' off line backup before the restore.

- Copy the MDBData and DSAData directories to a location (another Server
would be best) that you can access after rebuilding the OS on the server.
VERIFY that the backup is consistent using the specified tools in the KB
before reloading the OS.  Also, perform a backup of the system at this time
for any additional files that you need.

- After verifying the Offline Backup is consistent, Install Win2K.  (Up to
you if you want to format all drives and reconfigure.  I recommend at least
formatting the OS partition/volume)

- Install Exchange 5.5 with the /R command, following the Directions as
specified in the KB article EXACTLY...   Specify your Exchange 5.5
organization name. Yes you will tell it to create a NEW Site, but name it
the existing site name.

- SP and Patch using the /R command as well

- Copy your Offline MDBdata and DSAdata directories back to their original
locations

- Start the services...  (Address any errors using the tools specified in
the KB - Only had to do this for one out of the 6 servers)

- Recreate IMS Connectors if there was one on this server before...  The old
one will show up after the restore, but it will NOT work.  Have to delete
and create a new one.  Your prior documentation is key.

- Create test accounts and verify replication to other servers

- send test mails back and forth to verify everything works.

- Done

Do this in a Lab first!   This is not a hard process, but practice is key to
not losing your job to a silly mistake.

I became so efficient at this that I was able to replace a server using this
process with in an hour and a half (not counting the OS install Process)

Good luck.

Chris Wall

Sr. Exchange Administrator

MCSE, MCSA