RE: RAID in Exchange

  • From: "Stephen Hartley" <shartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 07:18:23 +1000

RUBBISH

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Arnold [mailto:mark@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 9:29 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: RAID in Exchange

http://www.MSExchange.org/

You can't really RAID an IDE set.[Stephen Hartley responds]  Rubbish!

You need a SCSI subsystem which is where the "every hard disk uses its
own controller" sentence comes in.[Stephen Hartley responds]  Rubbish

The optimal for Exchange is hardware raid with the following
configuration:[Stephen Hartley responds]  In your opinion - back it up
with some facts!

2 drives in RAID1 for the operating system.

2 drives in RAID1 for the Exchange logs.

3 or more drives in RAID5 for the exchange stores.

The RAID1 number of drives can be reduced from two individual RAID1 sets
to a pair of drives in RAID1 with two partitions.

If you have to use IDE then you might do it this way:

Controller 0 Primary - Operating System

Controller 0 Slave - Exchange Install and Logs

Controller 1 Primary - Mirrored stores

Controller 1 Slave - Mirrored stores

There are several options, all of which give varying degrees of
resilience/performance mixes.