Question on Security Issue

  • From: Gene O'Brien <Gene@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:35:02 -0500

Hi All,

I've just started at a new company, and am analyzing the current setup
before making recommendations for changes here.  We're a small shop with 35
users, running Windows 2000 Active Directory.  Three servers - 1 Exchange
5.5 server, 1 File Server/Active Directory controller, and 1 Web server.  We
have a Sonicwall firewall installed.

I had always heard that Exchange servers and external Web servers should
reside in the DMZ when setting up networks and security.  We've got both of
those servers inside our network.  Would it make more sense to set them up
in the DMZ?  If so, what configuration issues will I need to look at in
moving them over to there?

Thanks!

Gene O'Brien
Technical Advisor