RE: Question concerning Exchange 2003 and the Global Catalog

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:06:40 -0700

Problem: Exchange on a DC. Exchange will only use that DC. (This is true for
E2K, not sure if it is changed for E2K3.)

Problem: More than one GC in a domain in the same location. While you
experienced the one benefit to having more than one GC per domain/location,
there are a number of downfalls.

Problem: User can not access if no GC available. Windows 2003 Server AD
helps this, that once a user logs on the first time, the other DC will cache
the group credentials, and if during a log on can not contact the GC, will
use the cache. (I think I explained that correctly.)

Did that help, or make it more confusing?

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You
www.eservicesforyou.com