Question concerning Exchange 2003 and the Global Catalog

  • From: "Chad Roush" <croush@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:53:47 -0500

I would like some advice, I am wrapping up my Exchange 5.5 to Exchange
2003 upgrade at this time.

Here is my current configuration

Server1 - W2K DC running DNS, DHCP, Wins currently the operations master
server GC, PDC emulator, etc.

Server2 - W2K DC running DNS, WINS, Exchange 2003

Server3 - W2K server running ISA server

While moving my mailboxes we had a problem with Server1 and were down
for a few hours waiting for parts to arrive.
Since server1 was running the global catalog the users who were moved to
the Exchange 2003 server were unable to access the new Exchange server.
Now that we have repaired server1 I want to make sure that one server
being down does not shut down access to the other servers.  To help
resolve the Global Catalog issue, I have enabled the global catalog on
server2 also.
Now in theory if server1 is down, my Exchange clients should be able to
fail over to the second GC.

Am I thinking correctly?  Any other suggestions to help make these
systems more fault tollerent?

Thanks,

Chad