Question about Exchange disaster

  • From: "TN" <tkn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:41:39 -0600

hi
i'm a testing some Exchange disaster scenarios
please look through this example and tell me what you think.

Using Exchange 2003 SP1
Using two servers London and Miami

Created two SG's on London and Miami named SGL(ondon) and SGM(iami)

Created a Mailbox store in each SG

LONDON
 SGL
    MBXL1 (mounted and active mailboxes)
 SGM
    MBXM1 (not mounted - empty)

MIAMI
 SGL
    MBXL1 (not mounted - empty)
 SGM
    MBXM1 (mounted and active mailboxes)

Backup is performed of active SG's

then!!

MIAMI was stopped to simulate a disaster

Mailbox store MBXM1 restored to LONDON/SGM/MBXM1

ADMODIFY used to change homeMTA, homeMDB

(msExchHomeServerName was changed manually as there was only a few test
users).This can be done be vbscript, but is there other tools doing this?

Outlook profile modified on MIAMI users (on a Windows XP/Outlook 2003
client)

The result seems to be that all users now have their mailbox on LONDON

LONDON
 SGL
    MBXL1 (mounted and active mailboxes)
 SGM
    MBXM1 (mounted and active mailboxes - from the miami restore)

I did the same procedure using dial tone restore and it worked too

Question: Is this an acceptable way of doing Exchange disaster?

Br
TN