Re: Question

  • From: "John Oligario" <joligario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:54:14 -0400

Microsoft uses both.

 A Device CAL permits one device (used by any number of users) to access or
use the server software. A User CAL permits one user using any device to
gain access to or use the server software. Many Exchange Server users prefer
the User CAL because it allows access to the server running Exchange Server
from multiple devices, including computers, laptops, and mobile devices.
Device CALs can be used in kiosks or shared computer environments where
multiple employees use the same computer to access their e-mail and calendar
information. For example, in a manufacturing environment where 100 factory
floor workers each shift can use any of the 10 shared computers on the
floor, the factory only needs to purchase 10 Device CALs.

John Oligario