Problems with relay errors

  • From: "Mike Liddekee" <mliddekee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:36:10 -0600

I've noticed lately on our mail server (recently updated Exchange 2K
Standard to Exchange 2k3 Enterprise) that we tend to get a lot of
Undeliverable emails when someone internals tries to email an outside
party and comes back with the following:

contact your system administrator.

<mail.humco.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for xyz.com>

These emails would be usually going to folks that they have corresponded
in the past, sometimes even the same day they've sent emails back and
forth.  Eventually (sometimes minutes, other times hours) they can try
to resend and all seems normal.  In each instance, I've been able to
manually telnet to the recipent's mail server and send a test email to
the same recipient from our mail server console no problem.  Any idea
what might be causing this?  It's not affecting all outgoing mail,
probably just on average of 5-6 a week.  And its not email going to the
same domain each time either.  It's been all different domains.  Some
are large billion-dollar companies.  Others have been small mom/pop
shops.  I'm at a loss.

Regards,
Mike Liddekee
Network Engineer