Problems with Outlook auto-completion

  • From: "Lara, Greg" <GLara@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:23:38 -0400

I'm running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on Win2k. Occasionally, people in my org move
from one office to another. Each office (city) has it's own site, so when
this happens, I have to do an exmerge export and import, which a lot of
peripheral mods to keep mail flowing during the transfer, etc. I've gotten
pretty good at it.

The one glitch in the process is Outlook. The auto-complete name feature is
a problem, because when it remembers a name from the Global Address List, it
remembers the underlying X.400 address. Once a mailbox has been moved to
another server, the X.400 address for that user (mailbox) is different.
After the move, people in Outlook type the name, it pops up but, of course,
they receive an error in response and are confused as to why. Outlook
supposedly checks the names against the address book, but that apparently
does not include the GAL, because even though I ensure that the directory is
consistent across my 28 sites, they still get an error.

My solution has been to email everyone, telling them that if they're trying
to send email to user x or include them in a meeting request, they should
select them from the GAL. This is good for covering my a**, but it's awkward
and shouldn't be necessary. I can't imagine that organizations with tens of
thousands of mailboxes do this, so why should I?

Now, if I globally disable the auto-complete feature, people will freak,
because they rely on it constantly, so that's not an option. I just want to
know if there's some way to FORCE Outlook to check a name against the GAL
EVERY TIME it's used.

Any thoughts, Exchange wizards?

Greg Lara