[ExchangeList] Re: Problem installing Exch2k7 to coexist with Exch2k3 with a lot of LDAP search filters in recipient policies

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:15:58 -0400

I think those articles do answer your question.

You test in a lab environment, resolve any issues THERE, and then deploy
into your live environment.

Exchange 2000 and 2003 used an LDAP query stored in the purportedSearch
attribute of a recipient policy object. Exchange 2007 and above have
switched to using a somewhat more versatile and certainly more readable
syntax known as OPATH.

There are scripts, programs, tutorials, examples, etc. etc. for making that
change. If you are saying "I don't want to make that change", well, I can't
help you. If you are going to upgrade, you have to change over.

I've moved two hosted Exchange ASPs from 2003 to 2007. In both cases, I
stood up parallel forests. If you think that OPATH is the biggest issue in a
ASP/SaaS migration from 2003 to 2007 - well, you haven't done your homework
or testing yet.

For 95%+ of companies, the transition from LDAP to OPATH was seamless. You
find yourself in the 5% where it isn't. You can bring someone in to help
you, or work through the issues in a test environment. I don't recommend
that you use your production environment as a lab environment. As you've
already pointed out, when working with these types of objects, it's easy to
break things.