Problem: SMTP traffic is possible only through back-end Exchange

  • From: "Mustafa Cicek" <mbcicek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 04:53:00 -0600

We deployed Exchange 2003 (front-end and back-end).
Our front-end Exchange is also Exchnage proxy server (for RPC over HTTPS).
We use connector (DNS option) and defined only and only front-end Exchange
as Bridgehead server in the Exchange organization. Front-End is
responsible for all SMTP traffic.

We have the problem that not front-end Exchange, but back-end exchnage
tries to send mails to external domains. If we send mails to external
domains we found out that only back-end Exchange has these mails in its

It worked all well until last week. Last week we installed the following
security update
for Exchange:
"Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-021
Vulnerability in Exchange Server Could Allow Remote Code Execution

How can we tell the Exchange that only and only front-end smtp server
should connect to external domains?

Best Regards