RE: Preventing mailbox creation

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:36:35 -0500

I haven't actually tried that level of granularity, but my guess is that you
would break things if you tried to restrict via permissions due to the way
the that attribute is updated and populated (it's updated on the user and
the store object but not by the same entity right?)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289811 gives some idea of permissions
etc.

What might be better is to let them always create on a particular store and
then move the items as a background process.  Same concept you would use
with an automated provisioning process.  You *could* likely automate that
with some scripts etc if you don't have an automated system already in
place. Something that runs off-hours for example to level the mailboxes.

Of course, a help desk realignment tool A.K.A. a clue-by-four (US
Measurement) might be an alternative that also yields decent results.  I
don't think people that can't follow directions should be allowed to have
that kind of permissions myself, but that's mostly due to regulatory
requirements and operational difficulties introduced if you can't keep
control of the admins. :)

Al