Please Help! Old mails recovery!

  • From: "Zentarra, Marco" <marco.zentarra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:10:04 +0200

Hey all!

situation: exchange 2000 in a 2000 domain

we´ve got an backup from our exchange from 24.09.2003, there is a
mailbox from which we need some mails. so far so good, there are a
couple of options we´ve got to get them back in our "live-database" from
today. i have an idea how we can get them very fast, easily and SAVELY:

on a exchangeserver, theres is the mapped drive M: In that drive you can
find all the mailboxes, right? when you copy, i.e. a mail from folder
m:\bla\user.exchange\inbox to m:\bla\anotheruser.exchange\inbox the
second user see this mail in realtime. this works fine! now we get back
to our backup: my idea is to set up a new exchangeserver, put the
backup-mailsorage in it, access the m: drive from the new
exchangeserver, (EVERYTHING OFFLINE, otherwise we will get big problems,
thats for shure) copy the mails out of drive m: , delete the exchange
and its services, the connect to the LAN and copy all the mails (we are
talking about 20 mails) in our "live-exchangestorage" with using my "M:
- drive - idea" and thats it!

and here is my question: do we have to set up the new exchangeserver to
make this possible, or can we just map a drive M: on a server where is
NO EXCHANGE installed (the we´ve got not the problem taht everything got
to happen offline) to access the old *.edb files as i wrote some lines
above? if this is possible, a can go home early today :-)

TIA

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Marco Zentarra
Systemadministrator