RE: Permanently deleted emails

  • From: "Mark Fugatt" <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:43:32 -0400

Hi Shawn

Its funny you should raise this topic, I was at the FBI HQ in Virginia a
month ago and this topic came up, the simple answer is that permanently
deleting something is pretty much impossible, one of the biggest flaws is
that there are always two sides to an email conversation, so because you
have deleted it and purged it does not mean the other side of the
conversation takes the same steps, so if they really wanted to get the
information there is always that possibility.

Most companies keep regular backups and they sometimes forget that the
information could be on the backup.

Now, all that being said, in Exchange 2000 if you look at the properties for
the Storage Group, there is an option to "Zero out deleted database pages"
this will give you some security, but you will take a performance hit by
implementing it, other than that there is not a lot you can do.

If you have implemented "Deleted Item Retention" then of course information
could be recovered for a certain period of time.

The standard motto for anyone using email is:

"If you're not prepared to see what you have just typed on the front page of
tomorrows newspaper, don't click SEND"

Hope this helps a bit.

Mark Fugatt
MCT, MCSE, Microsoft Exchange MVP