RE: Password protecting OST

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:53:10 -0400

On 4/29/05, Medeiros, Jose <jmedeiros@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Danny,
> I really don't think that having a password on a OST would be that secure and
> for that
> matter having one on a PST is easily cracked in a matter of minutes.

I don't want you to misunderstand my intentions, so let my clarify by
stating that I am well aware of the fact that a password protected PST
(or OST) is not the panacea to securing access to the locally stored
email.  In fact, I believe in layers of protection/defences.  Do you
have locks on the doors to your house?  Do you believe they will stop
someone determined to get inside?  Anyway, I hope this clarifies my

> Your best solution is to use NT / 2000 / XP and have your users lock their
> desktop when
> they are away. Keep in mind any Operating System, including Linux, MAC OS and
> even
> Solaris can be broken into if you have physical access to the system.

Fortunately I learnt this in kindeegarten; I just don't have any
related certifications to place beside my name/signature to prove it.