RE: POP3 email retrieval

  • From: "Stelley, Doug" <dstelley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:57:03 -0400

The reason we went to Exchange was we were rapidly outgrowing our PoP3
accounts, and were paying more per month for that than exchange would
have cost. Viola, we got mail!
I used the mailEssentials during the transition process of pulling in
First I setup the server to be exactly what we needed. tested the hell
out of it.
Then I set up the SMTP part of it to process mail, then send to a
smarthost on an undeliverable mail, where I sent to the PoP3 location.
Then I created user accounts
Then I changed the MX records to bring mail in first, no longer to the
PoP location
actually I used mx=10 for my server, mx=20 for my PoP location so that
if mail failed, it went on to its end.
Tested that
Then as I created user accounts their mail came in naturally for us
After a couple weeks, no mail was going to the PoP, so I killed the