POP3 email retrieval

  • From: "Chris Nielsen" <cnielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:32:31 -0600

I've been investigating MailEssentials and the like a little bit when
I've had time and I have a few questions.

We have around 25 users in two different states; a single Exchange 2000
server per office; hardware VPN between the offices. We have an external
web host that hosts our website and our POP3 email. All Outlook clients
are configured to log into this POP3 server on their own to retrieve
external mail. The Exchange Servers are used for mailbox hosting and
internal mail routing.

Without altering our domain MX records, I want to configure our main
Exchange server to log into our POP3 server and retrieve all the POP3
email and properly distribute to all users in both offices.

*       Am I going to be able to get rid of all user accounts on our
POP3 server and just let the catch-all box receive all emails, and have
my Exchange Server log into this catch-all account and retrieve ALL
emails?

*       Is my main Exchange Server going to be able to route POP3 emails
to the other Exchange Server properly?

*       Will the spam filtering that's part of MailEssentials (or a
similar product) work if it's only installed on the one Exchange Server?

Does anyone have any product recommendations as alternatives to
MailEssentials. I've heard lots of good about it, but just want to be
thorough.

TIA.

Chris Nielsen

Systems Administrator