Re: POP3 Connector

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:38:12 -0700

> We're capable of using Exchange as the mail server, we've just chosen to
> keep the prior carrier provided POP3 mailboxes as the front end.  I know
> it sounds funny, but really....from a reliability standpoint, their
> clustered servers are always up, thus making sure that no important
> incoming messages will ever be rejected.  I'd never really thought about
> doing it that way until I gained a few customers from other "outsource
> partners", and I'd found several deployments of this.  Granted, usually
> they are using SBS, and the native POP3 downloader, but thought the idea
> would translate well for this deployment as well....that is until I
> realized that E2K doesn't come with a native connector.  :-(

If all you are looking for is a reliable front end with multiple servers for
redundancy, why don't you look for a gateway solution, instead of using a
POP3 connector? In that way, the gateway provider will have multiple servers
(MX Records) at different locations, which those servers would be configured
to send all incoming e-mail to your server.

John Tolmachoff
eServices For You