POP3

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ExchangeList (exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Exchange Group on Yahoo (MS_Exchange@xxxxxxxxxxx)" <MS_Exchange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:26:32 -0500

Hello all,

NT 4.0 running Exchange 5.5

   I have a user that is trying to get his mail via POP3.  I am able to
gather my mail via POP3 but he is not.  Here is the info that I have so far.

I am located in a container called 'City1'.  He is located in a container
'City2'.  We both have user accounts on the same domain.
Every time he tries to access his mail via POP3 (using a POP3 utility called
evolution), an error is returned stating that his account could not be found
on the server.  When I try to access his account using his credentials via
POP3 (using Outlook), I get an error stating that an Incorrect username,
password or e-mail address is the problem.

HOWEVER, I then give my domain account permissions to view his mailbox and I
am able to get into his mail via POP3.  I know that I am using the correct
username, password and e-mail address for him....  So I am not sure why this
is happening.

The only thing that I can think of is that no one in his Container has the
ability to use POP3 (verified this by trying other members of the 'City2'
container).  Could this be an issue?  If so, how do you allow that container
to access mail via POP3?  If I open the users account in Exchange and go to
the Protocols tab, I see that the POP3 settings for the mailboxes in 'City2'
are recipient and server enabled.  So POP3 should work.

Any ideas?

Chris