RE: POP downloader

  • From: "(CSC)Jawed Lashari" <lashari@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:45:48 +0600

I m using popbeamer www.popbeamer.com it is quite easy  and u can also
download from multiple pop accounts.

:)

-----Original Message-----
From: Alfonso Lopez de Ayala [mailto:alopezdeayala@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 11:16 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] POP downloader

http://www.MSExchange.org/

THE QUESTION (briefly):
- Any recommendation on a "POP3 downloader" to use with Exchange?
- Just want to use it for 2-3 weeks while we migrate to Exchange, so it
would preferably be SIMPLE and FREE. :)
- POP3 downloader needs to be able to download e-mail from multiple POP3
accounts, each with a different username/password.

THE BACKGROUND (if you have more time):
- Our users now have their Outlooks hitting a POP3 server (Unix) on the
net.
- We're migrating to Exchange 2k, one user at a time -- simply changing
each Outlook profile from "POP3" to "Exchange MAPI service."
- To not disrupt yet-to-be-migrated users, I'd like to keep their
Outlooks as always, hitting the Unix server (POP3) during the transition
period.
- Migrated users would have their Outlooks hit the new Exchange server
(MAPI).
- The company's public mail server (listed in DNS MX records) until
everybody was migrated would still be the external Unix server (POP3).
- To do this, I'd need Exchange to hit the external Unix server (using
POP3) during the migration phase so migrated users can get their mail.
- I'd need to be able to configure the "POP3 downloader" with the POP3
username/password of each user (different from the user's Active
Directory username/password) so it can use it to authenticate on the
Unix server. Once downloaded the mail would go on the corresponding
user's Exchange mailbox.

(Any other suggestions on different approaches to make the migration
transparent to users is welcome too!)

Thanks,

Alfonso