RE: PLEASE READ:SMTP forwarder isn't forwarding messages with "return -path <>".

  • From: "ONG Liang Bu (CSC)" <lbong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:30:46 +0800

Do you define a Postmaster email address for yr domain?

I will assume all mails from <> are NDRs and will be delivered
to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx  If you already have postmaster address
then I am at a lost also.

Date:           1/28/2003
Time:           6:16:54 PM
User:           N/A
Computer:       MAILGUARD
Message delivery to the remote domain '' failed for the following
reason: Unable to successfully connect to the remote server.
0000: 3a 02 04 c0               :..À

This happens once for every message with a "return-path: <>" in the header

Further research revealed that these messages are NDRs from AOL but MOSTLY
messages from List servers.

We NEED to get these emails!!!

So, here's what testing I have done..

If I drop these messages into the PICKUP folder, they get delivered.

I telnetted into the local host for the forwarder, sent a message from <> to
It arrived.

I telnetted into the exchange server, sent a message from <> to myself.
It arrived.

(I am assuming these emails are the same as the ones that have a
"return-path: <>" in them.)

I send a message to the foreign list server with a command that makes it
reply, and it too lands in BADMAIL.

If email arrives from an exterior server with "return-path: <>" in the
header, it drops to badmail and I cant stop it.

What should I do?

Im completely stumped, and this has been going on for over a month now.

List Archives:
ISA Server Resource Site: