RE: PLEASE READ:SMTP forwarder isn't forwardin g messages with "return -path <>".

  • From: Lenny Burns <lenny.burns@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:41:00 -0500

Yes, here, to the best of my ability is the layout.

Mail comes to any of the 41 domain names that we are known by.
Conway.com is one of them.

Mail for Conway.com arrives at the IIS5 SMTP server.
I receives the mail, places it in the queue, and then immediately forwards
it to the exchange server.

ONLY internal users and this SMTP server can send email to the exchange
server.

The SMTP server is used to send EXTERNAL SMTP mail to the exchange server,
which then deposits it into the users mailbox.

All users in this network talk directly to the exchange server, even for
SMTP relaying and do NOT communicate with the IIS5 SMTP relay server.
That is dedicated to delivering external mail to the internal exchange
server.

[OUTBOUND INTERNET MAIL]

^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^
INBOUND INTERNET MAIL->->->->-[IIS5 SMTP SERVER]->->->->[EXCHANGE
SERVER]<-<-<-<-(USERS)
        Mail with "return-path: <>" stops here^^^
        And an event 4000 is logged
(Unable to connect to remote server)

Hope this helps.....

Date:           1/28/2003
Time:           6:16:54 PM
User:           N/A
Computer:       MAILGUARD
Message delivery to the remote domain 'conway.com' failed for the following
reason: Unable to successfully connect to the remote server.

Data:
0000: 3a 02 04 c0               :..À
=====================================

This happens once for every message with a "return-path: <>" in the header

Further research revealed that these messages are NDRs from AOL but MOSTLY
messages from List servers.

We NEED to get these emails!!!

So, here's what testing I have done..

If I drop these messages into the PICKUP folder, they get delivered.

I telnetted into the local host for the forwarder, sent a message from <> to
myself. It arrived.

I telnetted into the exchange server, sent a message from <> to myself. It
arrived.

(I am assuming these emails are the same as the ones that have a
"return-path: <>" in them.)

I send a message to the foreign list server with a command that makes it
reply, and it too lands in BADMAIL.

If email arrives from an exterior server with "return-path: <>" in the
header, it drops to badmail and I cant stop it.

What should I do?

Im completely stumped, and this has been going on for over a month now.