[ExchangeList] Outlook Web Access / Exchange Server 2003 - "The handle is invalid"

  • From: "Edward Rogers" <edward.rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:18:57 +0930

-------------------------------------------------------Hi, all.

We are running Exchange Server 2003 SP2 installed on Windows Server 2000
SP4, with IIS 5.0.

We have recently had to re-install MS-Exchange 2003 due to a security patch
causing issues with IIS and a need to re-establish the exchange virtual
directories and settings. To do this the following was done:
- Exchange-related virtual directories were removed from IIS
- MS Exchange was "Re-Install"-ed from Control Panel (i.e. not removed
- Exchange SP2 was then re-applied.
- Win2K SP4 was then re-applied.

Whilst this fixed our initial problem, we are now having the following issue
when using Outlook Web Access (OWA).

We can access the OWA login page and enter login details ok.
After logging in, the beginnings of the screen are displayed (i.e. two
panes, both empty).
After a lengthy period of time, either of the following are displayed in the
left-hand pane:
-2147467259 (0x80004005), or the message "the handle is invalid".

When this occurs, several services on the server in question abort
unexpectedly and have to be re-started. These include:
Web Publishing Service, FTP Service, SMTP Service, Exchange SMTP, Exchange
IMAP4, IIS Admin Service.
Other than events stating the above services have aborted, there are no
other messages on the System or Application event logs.

Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated !!
Do we have to re-install IIS also? If so, is there a recommended procedure
for this?

Thanks in advance.

MSExchange Articles and Tutorials: