Outlook Hangs When Closing

  • From: "Lin Webster" <lwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:58:34 -0600

We are running Exchange 2000 (SP3) on a Windows 2K server (SP4) with
clients using Outlook 98 (Corporate 8.5.5603.0) on WINNT 4.0 (SP6).  The
Exchange servers and client computers all have the most recent critical
security patches installed.  We've recently been having problems with the
client hanging when trying to close Outlook.  Seems to be more problematic
with our mobile users.  Sometimes will hang indefinitely (over 1-2 hours).
 Oftentimes it is the mapisp32.exe process that is hung.  We can go in and
manually kill the outlook.exe and mapisp32.exe process, but I'd like to
find out what is causing the problem and get it fixed system-wide.

It will be some time yet before we can migrate to Windows XP and most
recent version of Outlook on the client machines.  Any input would be
greatly appreciated as it is becoming more of an issue.

Thank you.

...Lin Webster
IBM Global Services/AT&T Alascom contract
email: lwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx