RE: Outlook Express not working anymore after using PIX Firewall

  • From: "Walkowiak, Matt" <Matt.Walkowiak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:54:44 -0500

The good thing about OE (outlook express) is that it is a pretty simple
program - it talks to POP3 servers on port 110 and SMTP servers on port
25 (unless you have changed it'd default, or are doing some weird
proxying somewhere...)

Always a good test is to see if you can connect to the POP3 server
(assuming you can surf the internet just fine...)

Open a cmd prompt and type

telnet mail.domain.com 110

mail.domain.com will be the FQDN of your POP3 server.  If that works, I
would bet money that OE will work, as long as it is in its default
config.

Matt Walkowiak