RE: Outlook 2003 chehd mode + synchronisation

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:17:46 -0400

A good overview of the interaction between Outlook and Exchange, in
regards to address books, is MS KB 841273. But it's probably more than
you want to know.

The process to do what you want takes two steps - one in Exchange and
one in Outlook.

First, ask Exchange to rebuild the address book. (This is normally a
scheduled process that happens at 4:00 am, by default.) To do this, open
ESM, expand Recipients, and click on Offline Address Lists. In the right
pane, rught-click on the offline address list of interest (you probably
only have one - the Default Offline Address List) and select Rebuild.
You will be warned that it potentially could take a long time. Click Yes
to proceed with the rebuild. Wait a couple of minutes (Exchange's
scheduler runs on a one minute clock, so it could be as much as 60
seconds before the process begins. After it starts, in a small domain,
it'll probably only take a few seconds to rebuild the address list).
Now, you are done with Exchange.

Second, move to Outlook and ask it to download the updated address book.
On the main toolbar, click on the down-arrow next to Send/Receive. In
the menu, click Download Address Book. On the resulting dialog, click
OK.  You are done with Outlook.

I have intermittently had issues with Outlook that required me to
restart Outlook before the changes appeared, but that isn't necessary
normally.

Just FYI: Outlook will normally check on the availability of an updated
OAB 24 hours after it downloaded the last one. Or about five minutes
after Outlook is restarted. So, after a rebuild, you can restart
Outlook; and in about 5 minutes it should automagically download the
update. But that requires waiting and I don't like waiting. :-)