RE: Outgoing mail problem in exchange 2000.....

  • From: "Walkowiak, Matt" <Matt.Walkowiak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:17:02 -0500

Step one:          Make sure the new server can surf the Internet

Step two:          From a cmd prompt on the new server, run nslookup

Step three:        In nslookup, type set typ=mx

Step four:          If you want to send an e-mail to user@xxxxxxxxxx,

Step five:           Note the MX record with the lowest preference
number (usually 10)

Step six:           Exit out of nslookup and type telnet <result from
step five> 25

                        For example, telnet 25

Step seven:       If you get a 220 response, then your server CAN see
another mail server on port 25 - which is good.  If you don't get a 220
response, then that's your problem!

So, that's a long winded way to ask if you can telnet to port 25 of a
remote mail server.  So can you?

Matt Walkowiak