RE: Outbound emails

  • From: John Mason <John.Mason.Jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 22:08:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Hermida [mailto:ghermida@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 5:09 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] Outbound emails

http://www.MSExchange.org/

I am running an Exchange 5.5 Enterprise with sp4 on a win2k server.  It is a
single site, single exchange server in a mixed mode NT4 domain.

I usually have a bunch of outbound messages stuck in the "Outbound awaiting
delivery" with no Originator header going towards various spam related
websites.  I manually delete hundreds of these out of the que several times
a day.  Is there a way to configure the exchange server not to accept any
email which has no Originator information?  I have relaying shut down tight.
I assume that these emails are the result of either a virus on an infected
pc here on our network or pc's with spyware loaded accidentally on them or
something of this nature.  If there was a way to lock down the exchange
server, is there a downside to this action?

thanks,

Greg

My guess is that you are seeing NDRs from <> because Exchange accepts the
message then verifies that there is a valid email address.

The fix is to reject during the SMTP for invalid users but in the Exchange
Family only 2003 has that ability natively.
I use an LDAP lookup from my Linux box running my filtering software
CanIt-Pro http://www.canit.ca.

John