Opinions

  • From: Andrea Coppini <AndreaCoppini@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:04:17 +0100

Hello all,

let's see if you can come up with something funky for the following:

Scenario:

I have half a class C coming in over a CATV connection, going into a Cisco
(3600 series, 6 slots, can't remember exact model number).  This Cisco does
simple, static routing.

The Cisco is in turn is connected to a Windows NT based Checkpoint FW 1 4.1
(3 NICs: External, DMZ Lan and Internal).  This does simple routing (No NAT)
to the DMZ with 16 IPs, and 1-to-1 NAT for the rest of the IPs with the
Internal LAN.

The DMZ NIC is connected to a small Cisco MicroSwitch, to which an Exchange
server is connected.

The Internal NIC (subnet  192.168.1.0) is connected to a Cisco Catalyst
Switch, the internal users are also connected to this switch, but are on a
different subnet (192.168.2.0).  The internal servers (ie. PDC, file
servers, etc.) are on yet another internal subnet (192.168.3.0) and
connected to the same Catalyst switch.  The Catalyst switch is using VLANs
to separate the subnets and a Cisco 3600 series (a 2-slot this time) routes
between these 3 internal subnets.

(Don't ask me what the thinking behind this is, I joined the company after
it was set up...)

Anyway, now my real problem is the following:
I will soon be getting a small 512/512k ADSL connection to a different ISP
with 1 single fixed IP address.  I want to use this ADSL connection
exclusively for my Exchange server, but want to have control over what
packets can travel over it, so I would like it to pass through a firewall of
some sort.

I was also considering installing a small 'personal firewall' on the
exchange server itself.

I'm throwing this in the pit to see if I can get any alternative
suggestions.

Cheers and regards.
Andrea Coppini

Mr. Andrea Coppini
+356 79 ANDREA (263732)
andreacoppini@xxxxxxxx

EMPOWER PEOPLE - THE WORLD IN YOUR HAND!

iWG (iWORLD Group) is a global e-mobile(TM) company creating, building and
growing new businesses.  iWG founders are pioneers in creating multi-billion
dollar mobile and Internet businesses in Europe, Asia and the US.

The Global Partners include shareholders like Bank of America, Deutsche
Bank, Hikari Tsushin, McCaw, PaineWebber/UBS, The Dolphins' Trust, Perikles
Trust and the iAA Advisory Network.

http://www.iWG.info

http://www.countryprofiler.com/Malta/

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If
message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.