Open Relay on exchange 2000

  • From: "Chris Allen" <callen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:39:51 -0600

I have read the article on
http://www.msexchange.org/pages/article.asp?id=54 and Microsoft's
knowledge base articles (310380, 314734, and 304897) and verified through
each of these that my exchange server is not set up as an open relay.
However, ORDB.org ran a test on it and list it as such. When I found out
about this, I attempted to send an open relay message from outside my
network and was also able to do it. Any advise on how to stop open relay
beyond what was published in these articles? We put in a new firewall two
days ago (also the same day the site was submitted to ORDB) but I am not
sure how a firewall would open relaying when exchange has it turned off.
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris Allen
Systems Administrator