[ExchangeList] Re: Off Topic: Windows Server Reboot Policies

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:28:27 -0400

In the "old days" (I'm talking Windows 2000 RTM), weekly reboots made sense.
Since Windows 2000 SP1 - heck no. Unless you have an identified application
that is leaking memory - I wouldn't reboot except to install MSFT patches,
once per month.

What does it hurt? Reboot puts added stress on disks (moreso than normal)
and it causes user downtime - never a good thing).

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

MCSE/Exchange MVP

http://TheEssentialExchange.com