RE: Off Topic - DNS Server on Windows 2000

  • From: Alejandro Contreras <acontreras@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:23:03 -0500

The internal DNS server should not have any pointers to outside DNS servers.
It should have access to the outside world to do DNS lookups for the Root
Hints and should be allowed to do recursive lookups. It should have its own
IP address as the DNS server.
The only reason you should use external DNS servers is for your website www
A records and your record.
All internal systems should use the internal DNS servers (hard coded or
through DHCP) as their DNS servers.
Alejandro Contreras
Systems Administrator
Ontario College of Teachers