Off Topic - DNS Server on Windows 2000

  • From: "Technical Support" <tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:02:01 -0000

Hi All

I have lost a staff member and have therefore been thrown in at the deep end.

I am not great with DNS and I have the following problem.

A windows 2000 server configured as a PDC running DNS.

The clients are a mixture of NT4 and windows 2000 professional.

If I set the clients to use the DNS server to resolve the names then they are
unable to connect to the Internet. "Error could not find server". If I
configure the clients to use the ISP DNS server Internet works without a

I have looked at the DNS setup on the server and found a tab where you can
enter forwarder details. This is greyed out so I can not add the ISP DNS
servers in here.

The end result is that clients can either browse the Internet or browse the lan
but not both.

Has this been setup wrong? How can I resolve this problem?

Many thanks for any suggestions

Frustrated Admin