RE: OWA-Setup

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:03:09 -0400

I don't mean to sound rude but how in the world did you get an Senior IT
job when you haven't even grasp the works of Windows Server and the
Internet?

What you want to do is very simple, it doesn't require all these
questions if you know how the external domain name setup/configuration
works, how IIS with Exchange and OWA works, and most importantly if you
know how ISA 2000 Server works!

Okay you want help.

Get the company its own domain name in the net, then once you have your
dedicated internet service, that being DSL, a T1 or whatever, as long as
you get a STATIC IP, you simply point your domain name to your static IP
address.

To get OWA working a lot people use owa.domainname.com, so to do this
you go to the person who is looking after your companies domain name and
add in the A table (correct me if I am wrong) and added
owa.yourdomain.com --> your static IP and your done. The rest you have
to do on your ISA server.

To receive emails on your Exchange server simply point your MX table to
your static IP and setup ISA 2000 to work with Exchange server, done.

To use Outlook on the outside simple enable SMTP and POP3 if you want on
you Exchange and setup ISA 2000, done. I don't use SMTP and POP3 on my
box, and a lot of companies here don't do that as well so instead they
setup a VPN connection and only let their employees VPN into the network
to get their mail, I on the other hand us RPC over HTTP.