OWA problems.

  • From: <paul_lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:15:15 +0100

Hi all

I hope someone could possibly help me with a couple of problems I am having
with OWA on our Exchange 2003 machine. It is running on a Windows 2003 Domain
controller, although it has none of the FSMO roles on it and is not a Global
Catalog. We have two other Domain controllers, one of which is our Global
Catalog. The domain is set to Windows 2000 Native mode and Exchange is set to
Native mode also. I have installed a Certificate Authority and do have the
HTTPS site up and working with forms based authentication. However, I have two
minor problems I hope someone can help me with.

I have created the certificate and on the Exchange server and all is fine when
you go to the OWA default web page except for one thing. Since getting it all
up and working no matter what I set the Exchange page in IIS security settings
too I get the logon page for SSL or the standard non-forms based logon prompt
for the non SSL site even when logged on to the local internal network on the
Exchange server or connected in via VPN. Needless to say I didn't before? Any
ideas why please and if so how I can fix it please? The only setting I have not
tried is anonymous but I am not keen to enable this unless absolutely essential
since this is now on our live Exchange server. Any ideas how I stop this
please? Before someone quite rightly  picks me up on allowing HTTP traffic I
should mention that I do not allow HTTP on our Cisco PIX 515E firewall. Thus
only HTTPS traffic would be able to get in. Unfortunately with only one machine
for testing last time I do not know if this problem existed as the remote OWA
server was the only domain member.

The second is particularly strange since when I did my testing a few weeks back
on my test setup it was not a problem. I have copied the certificate from the
Exchange server to my local machine but despite installing it I still get the
un-trusted CA warning message when I first open outlook unless I VPN in and
access the Exchange server and install the certificate whilst specifying the
internal IP address of the server on place of the external address when
installing the certificate. Even then it only worked on the 2nd attempt? Our AD
domain is a fully registered one, thus if you hadn't guessed we have split DNS
and our internal mail server has a private internal address and a registered
public address with our external DNS provider. I thus suspect this is a DNS
issue of some type but am not quite sure what it is. Any ideas on how to stop
this as not all external mail users will have anything other than OWA access. I
think it may be of note that none of the internal machines on the LAN suffer
from this. Then again since it is an AD Enterprise CA that is not so
surprising. I would add that in both my live and test scenario's the test
remote machines accessing the test server remotely were not in the Forest.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.