RE: OWA - multiple logon (authentication)boxes

  • From: "Walkowiak, Matt" <Matt.Walkowiak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:12:37 -0500

This kinda thing can happen when NTFS permissions are not consistent
across the web site.  What happens is you enter a directory with your
browser, and the NTFS rights do not allow anonymous access, so it asks
for a username password - everything is working correctly so far.  Since
you entered a new username/password, your browser will now request
everything using these new credentials.  If, when you start loading the
page, the page asks for resources in the same zone but a different
folder, and this different folder does not specifically allow these new
credentials (and the everyone group is not used) the server will ask for
a username password for every file (or image) the site needs in order to
load correctly.
To fix, make sure the NTFS permissions are consistent across the whole
site.  Also, do NOT fix the problem by adding the Everyone group - big
no-no on a public web server.

Matt Walkowiak