RE: OWA does not work after Exchange update for Exchange 2000 and 2003!! Urgent

  • From: "Martin Blackstone" <MBlackstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 05:11:49 -0700

Im working with Mark right now on this. He is seeing an issue that I ran
in to yesterday with the post SP4 rollup for W2K.
This doesn't happen to everyone, but in some cases when installing this
update directly from Windows Update, it replaces the MSXML3.DLL and the
MSXML3R.DLL with zero byte files. This essentially breaks XML in Windows
2000. The solution is to copy the old files back from the
Winnt\system32\dllcache folder.
There have been a few tidbits on the net about this. Folks say it will
occasionally happen when using WU or WSUS. But if you download the
update direct from the MS Download center you wont run in to this.
There is a KB on it here, but it hardly goes in to depth regarding what
breaks (for me it was BackupExec that showed up as the first broken
thing) and what causes it. But it's a solution.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836982