OWA 2000 Error: Access is denied

  • From: Christian.Schramm@xxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:38:11 +0100

After three times log-on, "Error: Access is denied" shows up in the browser.
I have searched knowledge base for this error and found many articles.
Nothing solves this problem. I also studied the white paper "Troubleshooting
Outlook Web Access in Exchange 2000 Server".

I try to access OWA from the exchange server itself. I am using
domain\username and UPN credentials. Tried to access with full-path. Tried
only basic authentication. Tried different users and client machines. Gave
test users the default smtp domain of the default reciepeint policy...

I have another exchange 2000 server in the forest on which OWA logon works
perfectly. Tried to adopt exactly the same configuration in ESM and IIS.
Does not work.

Guessing it has something to do with the SMTP-domain in the Exchange-path,
since this is the only difference between the servers. The problematic
server has another recipient policy. Created another virtual directory in
ESM. When selecting the domain I get stucked: there are several entries
which looks exactly the same (we have several sites with the same smtp
domain in the receipient policy): is it important to select the right entry
to get OWA to work? I tried all 5 but maybe I did not wait long enough for
replication?

In the IIS logs I see nothing more than error no 401 unauthorized. Eventlogs
don't show any interesting issues regarding OWA. Any other troubleshooting
hints?

Thx