[ExchangeList] Re: OT:Internal Vs external Domain

  • From: Simon Butler <simon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:27:46 +0100

You need to configure a split DNS system.
This is basically where you put a new entry in your internal DNS system with the external IP address.

So in DNS on the domain controller, in the zone for your domain, right click and choose New Host (A).
Enter www as the host name and then enter the external IP address of your web site.
Click Add Host. It may take a few minutes to propagate to the other domain controllers, but that should allow users to see your external web site. Obviously if you change host or your host changes the IP address you will need to update the IP address manually in your own DNS.

You can do something similar if you are exposing OWA to the internet.
On the internet owa.domain.com (for example) resolves to your external IP address.
Internally, owa.domain.com resolves to the internal IP address of the Exchange server.

Simon.

--
Simon Butler
MVP: Exchange, MCSE

e: simon@xxxxxxxxxxx
w: www.amset.co.uk
w: www.amset.info

Need cheap certificates for Exchange, compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0?
Go to http://www.certificatesforexchange.com/ for certificates for just $20 a year.