RE: OT: Windows XP virus removal

  • From: jos.schijven@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:40:32 +0100

Dear John,

Take the HD out of the infected computer, put the HD into another Desktop and
then clean the infected HD with
Symantec. Don't make any netwerk connections!!!!!
If the virus is not removed, you have to fromat the HD. In the infected
computer take the battery of out this
machine to claer the bios. Put the had cleaned HD back and the poblem is
solved.

Jos
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> A bad virus infection requires careful research into what the virus does
> and
> how to clean it. Symantec is very good about this on their website.
> Additionally, once you have the system "clean" of the virus your work may
> just beginning. I have yet to see a badly virus infected computer that did
> not have additional viruses as well as Spyware and/or Adware on it.
>

> If you are new to this kind of problem, you either need to take the needed
> time to research the problem or contact a professional who has done this
> before.
>

> Some of the steps that may be involved in a cleaning/recovery:
>

> 1.    Dismounting the hard drive, mounting in a lab computer with another
> hard drive that has an OS on it, booting to that drive and scanning the
> drive in question.
> 2.    Cleaning the registry
> 3.    Restoring the registry
> 4.    Modifying registry permissions
> 5.    Restarting into safe mode, several or many times
> 6.    Reinstall AV software
> 7.    Manually replacing corrupted files
> 8.    Run the OS install on top of itself (often called in-place upgrade
> of same OS)
> 9.    Reinstalling service packs and updates
> 10.   Installing and running 2-3 anti-Spyware programs such as Spybot
> Search & Destroy, Lavasoft AdAware and MS AnitSpyware.
> 11.   Modifying the HOSTS and LMHOSTS file, or replacing it.
>

> If you know what you are doing, plan on spending at least 4 hours working
> on
> this, but more likely 6-8 hours.
>

> John T
>
> eServices For You
>

> "Seek, and ye shall find!"

Tele2 Mobiel: nu gratis nummerbehoud bij bestelling via internet
http://www.tele2mobiel.nl/