OT: Terminal Server Licensing

  • From: "Devin McBride" <devin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:27:37 -0800

Was hoping someone could give me a hand with this issue I'm having as I'm not
quite sure where to go at this point...
We have a TS server in per device mode with 3-4 Win98 computers and the
remaining 8 computers being XP Pro
My understanding is that XP Pro comes with a TS Cal...therefor we would not
need to buy extra permanent licenses to cover these stations - and I was told
if looking in Terminal Server Licensing, the XP Pro machines shouldnt even take
one of the permanent licenses...
We are running into an issue now though where the server will tell users that
their temporary license is about to expire.  We do have a block of 5 perment
licenses which we bought through the open license program
Can someone please enlighten me as to what I am not understanding correctly and
possible give me a lead on where I should be looking?  I've tried calling up
the MS Server Down phone contact and he was a bit unsure, not necessarily
because we have everything setup correctly, but moreso because he wasnt
extremely knowledgeable on TS itself.  He directed me to call the MS Clearing
House to activate more licenses, but that kind of defeats the purpose if we
dont need to activate more licenses to begin with.  Again, I'm not sure - I may
be understanding this very incorrectly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much in advance.
Devin McBride